10.31.2007

Success of the Japanese Blog

Hello to all,

Hope everyone is doing well. I had plenty to eat today for those of you who are worried about the food situation. Everything is going well. As of now, I have about 5 privates and every week it continues to grow. If I get 10, I will be able to stay, not living a fancy life, just able to survive. But, right now, that is all I am worried about. So, I am half way to my goal.

Part of it is due to the blog as well as the fliers I have had made. Friends are also actively recruiting students for me. So, everything seems to be on the up and up. I have about 300 in the bank and 40 in cash at the moment. My only fear is E-Day (Eviction). If I can stay here another month free of charge, I should have enough saved that I can find a place of my own with some friends. But, we will just have to wait and see. I am thinking tomorrow (the 1st) should be the day we get it but who knows what kind of payment schedule Nova had with the landlord.

Anyways, since the start of the blog, Joel and I have gotten several offers: some for food, others for privates, one woman is going to send me a mouse to help with job applications, and a possibly interview for a newspaper. I know a mouse is only $12 but that is half a weeks worth of food.

I have been thinking about it a lot lately and I have noticed some signs that you are poor:

1) All calculations are done in food costs (see mouse example above).
2) You hate to break bills because for some reason, change doesn't seem as valuable.
3) You add a little less laundry detergent to your clothes to try and prolong the life of the detergent box.
4) Looking in the wallet is a dreaded activity.
5) Rice and noodles are a staple of your diet (good carbs and they fill you up fast).
6) You have so much free time and have applied to so many jobs, you just do not know what to do with your time.
7) Any plan in the future is a blessing because it gives you something to look forward to.
8) When out to dinner, you try to find the cheapest item on the menu. However, you hardly go out to dinner so this is not something that happens very often.
9) You know of every single park within 15 minutes walking distance of you apartment.

I think the worst thing about this is I have generally tried to be free with my money and not really worry about it. I have always been used to helping friends out and buying beer and all that stuff. Now, I hate even hanging out with friends because I feel like they want to take me so many places and to dinner and I can't afford to go. I hate being that guy who messes up plans and I hate being that guy who my friends have to pay for. I think that is the worst thing about all of this, accepting help from other people.

Hopefully, by the end of the month I will know more clearly where things stand. Right now, I do not know if I want to continue with private lessons or try to find a regular job. I will just have to play everything by ear and see what happens. Take care, hope every one is doing well. I was talking to a friend about Teach for America and it might be a possibility in the future. So, perhaps I will be back in 6 or 7 years instead of 10. Miss you all and wishing you the best.

No comments: