5.24.2010

Training???

I reported to my school yesterday at 1 to check-in. Eric, the Korean 'handyman' I guess you could call him, took me to the place where I'll be staying for the week - a love motel. Apparently, in Korea, couples live at home until they are married - still a bit conservative. So, if they need to fulfill their physical desires they rent out a love motel room and if I am not mistaken, they can be rented by the hour, for a few hours, a day, or in my case, a week. Believe it or not, the room is actually pretty nice. There is a huge, flat screen TV, double bed, little couch, and nice size shower room with bath. Oh, I forgot to mention, there are covers over the car entrance, flaps of sorts, so no one can tell who exactly is using a room. Scandalous but an unwritten rule in Korea.

So, I walked back to work around 2 and began my day. Oh, what a day. Compared to Japan, I think this is going to be cake. For the first two hours, according to the head instructor Nathan, teachers "prepare." And yes, he used hand quotation marks when telling me this. Then, you teach either a lesson or two, have a 70 minute break to eat dinner or prepare, then teach a final lesson or two depending on your schedule. So, when all is said and done, I will teach three 70 minute classes for a total of three and a half hours of work. I will have two hours of prep time or time to grade papers before class starts and then another 70 minutes if need be during my break, and finally a half an hour at the end of the day to finish paperwork. However, I must be in by 2 o'clock and I can't leave until 10. And that folks, will be my daily routine.

Training was interesting to say the least. I did a lesson plan, watched a video (which was not really specifically related to the material I'll be watching), took my break, then observed two lessons. This week, all I do is observe, that is it, nothing else. I sit in classes, take a few notes, and observe. And that folks, will be my training.

I am using the internet and computer at the love motel so I will try to upload photos whenever I get a chance. Hope all is well.

No comments: