5.20.2010

Before the Journey Across the Pond


As I am sure many of you know, I was supposed to leave in February for Korea. Obviously, that did not happen due to quite a few paperwork mishaps and errors. Nevertheless, the extra time before departing was nice in quite a few ways. For starters, I was able to work a bit, first at the Hershey Technical Center on a top secret product which I am unable to discuss, and after that, for Chris Archibald's Landscape Design. Both jobs were mind numbing, to say the least and thanks to Arch, I now know how to spread tanbark (as if I could not have figured that one out on my own.) However, I am thankful for the the jobs since I was able to make a couple extra bucks before leaving.

Besides working, I was once again able to visit the plethora of historical landmarks in and around the Central Pennsylvania region as well as some of the surrounding states. Unfortunately, Katrina and I were unable to make it to Niagara Falls due to the week notice she received before leaving. On the other hand, we were able to visit the Gettysburg Battlefield. We had one main purpose, my mother, aunt, Katrina, and myself - the cyclorama. The picture below does not serve justice to the 360 degree painting of Pickett's Charge which stands 27 feet tall and 359 feet in circumference. I would highly recommend taking the time to visit this landmark. For those of you who have seen the great redwoods of the northwest, it is like trying to explain the massive size of the redwoods compared to the Eastern Pines - not happening.




(Gettysburg Cyclorama)


Next on our stop - 'The City of Brotherly Love.' My mother and her boyfriend were taking a trip to Philadelphia and Katrina had a friend who worked there. So, we hitched a ride, saw a few of the sights, as well as a play in some famous theater - the name of which now escapes me. Tony Luke's now holds the special place in my heart reserved for Philly Cheese steaks. The main purpose of the trip, at least in my opinion, was the market. Not too shabby but after living in Portland, I wasn't overly impressed.




(Liberty Bell)


Caves. Katrina wanted to save Indian Echo Caverns so bad. So, one afternoon we packed up, drove the 15 minutes, and took the tour. I believe the last time I was there was in 5th grade and it seemed to hold a lot more magic and mystique at that age. Do not get me wrong, it is still a place to visit one every five or ten years. Looking back now, I think I was turned off by the tour guide, who seemed all to rushed to finish the tour for the five paying customers. I guess I should have apologized for burdening her while at work.




(Indian Echo Caverns)


Finally, I now consider myself somewhat of a NYC expert. Not that I have lived there or anything but after visiting 3 times in 3 weeks, it sure as hell felt like it. I took Katrina up on a Friday for her 10 minute visa interview and the following Monday, we drove up again, this time using the Park and Ride option at Secaucaus Junction. If you are going for a day trip, I would highly recommend this option. $12 to park, a 15 minute ride into Penn Station which costs $3.50 I believe, maybe less, and none of the hassle of driving in the city! We went to Times Square and I wondered - how many languages are spoken in this spot throughout a day? How many countries were represented at that very moment? Then, we took a stroll down to Central Park and finally, we picked up her visa.

A few weeks later, my sister, nephew, and I all went up again for my visa interview. We pretty much hit all of the same spots and my nephew requested that his father move the family up to NYC to live. Not something I see happening any time soon. My only regret, and not so much mine as my mother's, is that I did not make it to the Carnegie Deli. Oh yeah, and the fact we visited two days before the bomb scare.




(Ice Hockey Rink in Central Park)



(Times Square)

No comments: