9.27.2010

Hank and David

Friday night after work, all of my fellow male coworkers and I decided to go play ping pong. Just so you know, out of all the Korean teachers, there is not a single male Korean teacher in the elementary school area and there is only one female foreign teacher. So, there was a total of six of us. Had a blast playing ping pong although it was a bit pricey. I think it's about 9,000 won for an hour and 6,000 won for half an hour. Nevertheless, I had a great time. There were some good matches and I think Calvin, the new teacher from Ohio will be my best competition.

We left around 11, when the place closed and decided to go and get a drink. Everybody was pretty exhuasted from the Chuseok break so we weren't planning on staying that long. The place free pool (not a big fan of pool probably because I'm horrific) and darts. Also, the owner, 'Honey,' had an online jukebox player. He was a really nice guy and asked if there was anything I wanted to hear... Sure enough, the next songs I heard belonged to Hank Williams Jr. (Kawliga) and David Allan Coe (The Ride). I don't know of too many bars in the states where they will let you play that kind of old contry twang, but this is Korea. It made my night, sitting in Korea, listening to Hank and David. Needless to say, the night was not so early and we ended up leaving about 4:30 in the morning after Spenser disappeared. We found him at the bottom of the steps, talking to a Korean lady he had met in the past few weeks in a very sentimental tone.

Other quick news, the computer has arrived safely. The back is a bit banged up; however, it works, which was my major concern with it crossing the Pacific. I joined a gym yesterday - worked out and it felt fantastic. I didn't have enough cash so I'm headed back today with the extra money and my phone number.

Bear Down Chicago Bears, Bear Down! Bears vs. Packers on Monday night football and I might be able to watch it this morning, Tuesday morning!

Hope everyone is doing great!

2 comments:

Plowboyzzt said...

Hey, RLB, We ALWAYS love to read about your adventures....and, you inspire us to get out there and see and do all that we can! We, too, especially like the living history/examples-of-living-styles kinds of places, and have visited such places on many continents. Glad to hear about your playing CRIBBAGE, and the motorcycle ride....although, as parent-figures in your life, we want to say, "slow it down!" Stay safe, and keep in touch, Love, PoliPoli and Plowboy

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have not read your blog for a while...I have not read my own for a while:) It sounds like you two are having a great time. You suggest teaching English then? I have been thinking about it. I am finishing my masters in 5 weeks...YAY!!! I will keep an eye out for your good times in SK.