9.25.2010

Chuseok

So, this past Monday I went to Deokjeok-do, an island off the coast of Korea close to Incheon. It was a wonderful trip and I was able to beat the crowd to the island. So, the first night, I had to only share the beach with my coworker, Jonathan. Our group, which consisted of about 10 people showed up the next day along with about 100 other foreigners. The peace and quiet was gone. Nevertheless, it was a great vacation. The highlight for me was the hike up the tallest hill on the island.

Katrina and I ended up staying until Thursday afternoon since we both had to be back at work on Friday. It was a nice relaxing trip - the only bummer was the fact that the best day, weather wise, was Thursday, and we only got to spend half that day on the island. The one night I thought our tent poles were going to snap with the wind. It was, without a doubt, the windiest weather I have ever camped in. Still had a fantastic time and I am looking forward to our next camping adventure.


(Ferry - took about an hour, an hour and a half to get to the island, 2 hours to get to the Ferry Terminal)


(View of Incheon from the Ferry. Jonathan and I sat outside for the trip.)


(I believe this was a Chuseok gift for somebody on the island)


(Arriving at Deokjeok-do)


(View of the town and beach)

(Green Walk. They had this awesome little trail through the town with pine trees that are hundreds of years old. It was a wonderful nature walk.)

(Mural in the town)


(Fishing boats on the island)


(Katrina walking through a bamboo walkway shortly into our hike)


(Beautiful sunset. My forearms are bruised from volleyball.)


(Pagoda at the top of the hill)


(View of Seopori Beach)


(Katrina resting during our hike. You can see the pagoda in the background.)

(I love Seopori in Korean)


(View from our tent - yep, right on the beach)

No comments: