1.27.2011

"Fire! Fire!"

No hot water, which wasn't a big deal. Lately, it has been hit or miss in the morning trying to get hot water. Or, I'll have to wait 20 minutes turning it on and off until I finally get something. However, that wasn't the exciting part of the morning.

Around 8:45 I heard someone knock on the door. That is usually the time I head to the gym with Erik and Spenser. However, this was Tuesday so I didn't get up, but after waking up a bit more I started to smell smoke. A little later I heard a knock again and figured I better get up to see what was happening. By the time I got to the door, I heard keys jiggling in the lock. Needless to say, I had no idea what was happening.

A Korean guy, I'm guessing the landlord, opened the door and said, "Fire! Fire!" and then closed the door. No, due to my limited ability to speak Korean I can't ask if this is a minor kitchen fire or a building fire and I need to get up and leave the building immediately. So, I got up to check it out and opened the door a little. I looked out and there were about 4 firefighters dressed in full gear, oxygen tanks, face masks down. They were pounding on the door across from mine and the person wasn't opening the door. All of them saw me in my room but nobody seemed to be in a rush and it didn't seem like I was in any imminent danger.

Nevertheless, I came back in and I threw on my pajama pants and coats, tossed my lap top into my backpack, grabbed my guitar and camera and headed to Spenser's. I passed a few of the firefighters on the way out as well as a fire truck, ambulance, and a few of the tenants I recognized. Spent about an hour over at Spenser's came back and everybody was gone.

No comments: