7.11.2013

1st Rodeo at the Calgary Stampede

Well, I made my way to the Stampede Grounds.  According to the slogan, it is the 'Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth.'  Honestly, it reminded me of a giant carnival, with food vendors, as well as carnival games and rides.  Additionally, there was a rodeo.  My first rodeo ever and let me tell you, it was rather enjoyable.  I am definitely going to make it back to a rodeo somewhere at some point.  There were a lot of events and to be honest, I don't even know the names for all of them.  
 (This was as we headed into the grounds)


(The stalls or shoots where they keep the horses, bulls, and whatever else they need)

  
 (This was the one where you had to rope the calf and then tie up its feet)


(Here he's doing the tying)


(This one was fun...  Watch the guy in the blue shirt on the horse, in the gate)


 (They release the calf and then it's time to chase it down...)


(Jump on it...)


(Without overshooting...)


(And throw it to the ground.  All of the events were a lot more interesting because of the mud.)


 (This was the bronco with the saddle)


(Still riding)


(Here are the big boys - the bulls)


(Over 2,000 pounds right between your legs)


(I guess that's why women love cowboys, or so they say...)


(You can see the bull fighters.  They would actually smack the bull in the face.)


(And he's down.  He rode out his time, but there's no easy way to get off a bull...)

(This was far and away my favorite event of the afternoon.  They call it the wild pony ride...)

No comments: