10.19.2010

Boryeong Beach (part 2)

This past weekend I headed down to Boryeong, by myself. After everything that has happened recently, I needed a nice, calm weekend without any distractions. Furthermore, I didn't want an alcohol induced weekend either. So, I headed to the beach. I left around 6 am from Suwon on Saturday and made it to Daecheon by 9 am. It was only a two hour train ride and I did some essays for work on the way down.

This was my first time going alone and last time, we took a taxi to the beach. I think it was about 10,000 won or $10, but I wanted to try out the bus system. If I'm not mistaken, there is only one bus you can catch at the train station so I hoped on it and headed to Boryeong. It took about 15 minutes and when I got off, there was a slight drizzle. Bad news, since I was camping.

By the time I got to the camping area it was around 9:30. I set up my tent and immediately did what I went to the beach to do - rest. I took about a two hour nap. The rest of the weekend wasn't eventful and nothing exciting happened. I spent some time walking on the beach, sitting on the beach, reading on the beach, laying on the beach, laying in my tent, and going to the 'sauna.'

Boryeong is famous for its mud so when I went to the Jinjubong (sauna/bath house is the best way to describe it), there was a specific mud bath. It is the only Jinjubong I have been to in Korea so it's the only one I can describe. You go in, take a shower to get all the dirt off, and then have the option to go in either the hot bath, sea salt bath, mud bath, two, or all three. Then, you are supposed to hop in the cold bath. After that, it's into the actually sauna to sweat out any toxins and next, you can paint yourself with mud. I wish I had a picture of that. You let the mud dry, go in and shower again and call it a day. That's the proper way, at least according to the signs. Since there is no bath in my apartment I was inclined to hop in the hot bath more than once.

It was a great, relaxing weekend and exactly what I needed. I felt refreshed at the beginning of this week. Also, I was able to sort some things out in my head and get some peace in my life. There has been a lot of inner turmoil lately and I was able to figure out why. Also, I was able to set some goals and hopefully get things moving in the right direction. We'll see what happens. Anyway, pictures below - hope you enjoy.

Side note - this week is food week for my mother. Therefore, I am trying to take pictures of all the food I eat and then post them, along with the price, either Friday or Monday. Additionally, I'll be going on a hike this weekend to Seoraksan with the S.H.I.T.Y. group (Sunday Hikers Interested in Hiking Yet again).


(Entrance to the beach - I just like the white skin with dark brown mud)


(MUD - It's what Boryeong is famous for)


(As you are standing on the beach, this is the view to the left. Down in that area is where the camping is as well as most of the restaurants)


(View to the right - not a whole lot down at that end)


(Campsite - it's difficult to see but my tent has a green tarp over top of it)


(Sunset)


(Sunset again)


(Jinjubong - Hot bath in the front, sea salt bath next, cold bath in the background)


(Different view)

(Last shot at Boryeong/Daecheon Beach)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm coming to Ilsan in Feb and I love hiking. How do I find out about S.H.I.T.Y? :o)