10.13.2010

Suwon Cultural Festival

This past Saturday a few of the guys and I from work decided to head to the Suwon Cultural Festival. I life festivals and I like culture, so I figured this would be a great combination of the two. In case you didn't know, Suwon is the area I currently live in at the moment. The Festival had been going on since Thursday and ran until Sunday. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until Saturday afternoon - I would have spent a few more hours there Saturday morning. A few of the guys wanted to go and see a martial arts competition but we missed it - it happened at 10 in the morning and by the time we decided to go it was around 5 in the evening.

After doing a bit of research, I noticed there was a seiging of the fortress so we ended up heading over in that direction. We got to see some horse tricks (warriors shooting arrows, throwing weapons, and chopping straw, as well as some other guys running beside the horses and what not), a few displays of weapons (it looked like one guy used a tree branch as a weapon, who knows, maybe that's what they had back then), a parade, a band, a kind and a guy in a suit, and some fireworks. So, that was the cultural festival in Suwon. I'll let the pictures do the talking...



(A surprise dance performance we stumbled upon on our way to the other show)

(Same performance, different artists - I think they used drum sticks to help support the long cloth. It was a sweet performance.)

(There were a ton of these banners on a side hill so we were checking them out. I had Spenser sit down to give you an idea of how big they actually are.)

(Some more banners and what not - not really sure of the meaning)


(The guys from work, left to right - Calvin, Justin, Matt, and Spenser)

(View of the archery range with city in the background)

(Part of the festival - warriors on horses with flags - I love the 6 lane road in the background)

(Guys getting ready to shoot some arrows - again, my apologies for the cars and trucks in the background)

(Favorite shot of the night - Sunset)

(They gave everyone glow sticks at the event - I don't know why, I can't understand Korean, and it has little to do with cultural. Anyway, this is supposed to be a shot of all the glow sticks.)

(The King in front of the gate)

(Part of the Fortress at night)

(The main entrance to the palace - the palace was open with free admission during the festival)

No comments: