10.27.2007

Japanese Family

Great news! I now have a Japanese family who is willing to take care of me. Hiroko, a friend from school, who my mom and dad met, introduced Joel and I to her parents two nights ago. We got to Hiroko's (pronounced He-ro-ko) house and hung out with her mom for a bit, looked at some of Hiroko's pictures. Her mom made us a nice dinner, probably the best one I have had so far in Japan (probably because it was the first home cooked meal I had eaten besides the ones I have made). There is a picture in the picture section which shows the meal. It was a giant frying pan that is placed in the middle of the table then everyone just grabs whatever they are hungry for. It is a lot different from American meals where everyone has their own plate and own food. This is just a giant communal dish that everyone shared. It was a great experience.



Her brother came home after we had ate most of the dinner. He was shocked as he came up the stairs and saw two Americans sitting at the table. Hiroko, Joel, and I went to the store to get more beer. Her mom likes to drink beer but never has the chance since no one in her family really likes it. Plus, we forgot about the noodles we were supposed to have with dinner and needed to make some room after stuffing ourselves earlier.

We got back from the store, had some noodles, talked to her brother for a bit, and then her dad came home. Her dad is a fun guy, energetic, a jokester, but very nice. As soon as he got home, he got on his phone and started making some calls. He set up an interview for us the next day through one of his friends. After that, he drove us home (which probably cost him about $20 total seeing as there is a $7 fee to take the highway each time). Her dad told us we had a place to stay and food to eat if we ever needed it. He told us that we could come over everyday if we wanted. Hiroko is headed to America in a few days but I have a feeling Joel and I will still go visit her family at least once or twice.

The next day, we were off to dinner and an interview. We met her dad at the station and he took us to their house. We hung out with the family for about half an hour until Hiroko came home. We then went to dinner at a place where there was an open flame as well as grill at the center of the table and you cooked your own food. Hiroko's brother ended up buying so that was a plus. Then, we met her dad and were off to the interview, a bit late because of dinner. Oh, by the way, we changed in the bathroom of the restaurant for our interview. I am standing there changing, Joel is taking off his jeans and he looks at me and says, "I lost my pants." All I could do is laugh. Then, he started laughing because he didn't know what else to do. Between our station and the restaurant, Joel lost one of his two pairs of suit pants. His pants are lost somewhere in Japan. Anyway, we go to the interview, the guy cannot offer jobs because he is a small outfit. However, to make an hour and a half meeting short, he offers us $100 a month to keep a diary and send him pictures. So, Joel and I accept. He is hoping to involve the Japanese media and use Joel and myself as a figurehead for the Nova situation. I do not know what kind of connections he has but I know that I know have $100 more dollars than before, just to write. So, when I get the web address for that site, I will be sure to post it on here. That will be more of a daily diary where this is just here and there. Hiroko's dad dropped us off around 1 am which meant they didn't get home until close to 2 am.

This whole situation has just served to remind me that there are great, caring, kind people in the world no matter where you go. I honestly feel comfortable if I had to go and stay with their family even though I have only met them twice. Hiroko's mom packed Joel and I goody baskets both times and that is all I have had to eat the past two days, just food she has packed for us or dinner their family has made or bought for us. All around, they are just great people. Mom, they do like sweets, so if you come, make sure to bring a ton of chocolate for them.

Hope everyone is doing well, I know that I am doing a lot better now that I have a place to stay in a pinch or a home cooked meal if I ever need one. Today, I have another private lesson deal. So, I will make a bit more money hopefully and then I am meeting with a friend I met to give him some flyers to hand out. Things are nowhere close to where they need to be but at least they are looking a hell of a lot better then before. Remember to smile.

PS - Played baseball with the boys again this week. I had a big outing, two grandslams and a solid performance in the field. Joel had a few errors but we had fun and thats all that matters.

No comments: