10.25.2007

First Pay Day

I knew the title would get you, but don't be alarmed. Although I actually received my fist pay, it was not from NOVA. I gave my first private lesson today at a Starbucks. I would have to say, for being my first one, I do believe that things went rather smoothly. The young man I had as my student lived in Canada for about a year and his English was spot on, a few grammatical errors here and there but overall, excellent. At the end of the lesson, he scheduled another one for next week so I was quite pleased. My trial lesson fee is 1,500 yen and each subsequent lesson is 2,000 yen. Also, he told me that he would inform a few of his friends about my lessons. I figure if I can get 10 lessons a week, I can survive pretty easily with what I have saved up and with 20 lessons, I should be doing okay, not making bank, but surviving. I am going to give some of the flyers to my friends as well and ask them to pass them on. Of the 128 million Japanese, all I am asking for is 10 students. This Sunday I am going to do a voice room with a couple of students from my old branch. That is where it is a more relaxed atmosphere, I pick a topic of conversation, guide the discussion, and allow the students to talk as much as possible. I am hoping to get anywhere from 30 to 50 USD from that deal. So, by weeks end, I will have made a whopping 50 USD total. Better than nothing, better than nothing.

New fax from our nefarious president has informed us that the pay situation should be solved in a day or two; but, I highly doubt that. However, as soon as the real pay day comes, I will be sure to let you know.

On another note, Joel and I played some playground baseball with a group of 15 year olds. That was last Sunday and it was a lot of fun, definitely helped to get my mind off of things. So, we made plans to play again this Saturday. I will try to get some pictures of the field/playground and our teammates. They were pretty funny, Joel and I would just make contact and they would cheer. One of them would hit a home run and they wouldn't do anything. Afterwards, we had to take a picture with them on their cell phones. Reminded me of myself when I was younger, only with ice hockey, not baseball.

Right now, it is 3:15 am and I decided to post this blog. I do not know if I am stressed out that much or what the deal is, but I have not been sleeping well at all. Last night, it was 4:30 until I got to bed and the night before that, 3:30. Just writing in the blog and chit-chattin with friends online.

Tomorrow, Joel and I are off to a friends house to have dinner with her parents. She speaks relatively good English and I asked her what was on the menu. Her response, "I can't explain it in English." So, without being rude, I hope to take some pictures of the dinner tomorrow. I am going to take her parents come chocolates as well. Surprisingly, I have eaten most of the chocolate I have come with.

One bright side about this whole situation, I am in the best shape I have been in since I stopped playing ice hockey. I get to do my push ups and sit ups twice a day as it adds some routine to my life.

Still looking for a name for my plant...

Take care, hope everyone is doing well. I have kind of been down in the dumps lately, just stressed, frustrated, and overwhelmed. But, I think tomorrow it is time to take a different approach. So, hopefully I get my head out of my butt, stop sulking, and get a little more lively. There are jobs out there, I just need to find them. Hope no one got overly excited about the title and you at least got a laugh out of it. Smile, it could be worse.

No comments: