6.13.2008

Decisions

Well, needless to say, I am pretty down in the dumps since finding out that Agnes will not be coming. However, I said my final goodbyes as I packed up everything I had of hers and shipped it off. In order to get out of my slump, I have also joined a gym - Planet Fitness ($25 registration fee then $10 a month). I must say, that has helped life my spirits quite a bit and right now my butt is sore from doing squats. So, trying to get myself back in shape is a challenge and a great way to release my frustrations. I remember why I detest gyms so much though. It seems as though, and perhaps I may be way off in my assessment, that everyone, guys and girls included, seem to judge you while you are at the gym. Seeing as how it is my first week back, I feel pretty week and can only lift a fraction of what I used to be able to do and feel quite inadequate at the gym. Give it a couple of months and I'll be right back where I used to, hopefully. Now, if I can just start eating healthy.

In other news, not a whole lot going on with work. I help my dad out a few days a week repairing screens. Also, I am working at the pro shops now a few days a week and helping Bob Wilkie out with private lessons. On a side note and something I am looking forward to, I got a call from Bob Hartley who coached in the AHL and NHL and he asked me to help with his camp. So, I think that will be a great experience for me and a chance to learn some new drills. I also thought about asking him if he knew of any open coaching positions and seeing if he could help find me a job somewhere. I think it would be amazing to be a professional coach and get paid to have such a job.

Also, I am starting a book club with a few of my friends/mentors, people who I greatly respect and admire so that is something to look forward to. Right now I am in the process of learning How to Know God by Deepak Cheeporah (poor spelling). Interesting books but not so sure I agree with it completely. I don't believe there are really steps to knowing God and often find that part of me is in Step 1 and another in Step 4 according to him. So, I'm not sure if this should be a smooth process or if it's alright to find yourself in different stages.

I got a new pair of Crocs from Michelley. Only the second day I've had them, first I've actually worn them but so far so good. I realize, after sentences like the last, I need to increase my vocabulary and vary my diction quite a bit. Hopefully writing in this blog will help.

Dilemmas/Questions
1) Are there any other words that can successfully replace hopefully?

2) I am torn as to whether I should stay in the States any longer or once again, attempt to live overseas. I made a commitment to coach an ice hockey team, which is something I am looking forward to and believe will be a great challenge. Also, it is something I thoroughly enjoy. Furthermore, my best friend is getting married in May and I am in the wedding. So, if I don't depart within the next few months, which is highly unlikely, I would have to miss the wedding. I guess this is one of those philosophical debates I will have with myself over the next few weeks, but I guess I should look into it at the very least.

3) I am considering going by the name of J. Alan Cassel similar to that of J. Edgar Hoover. Let me know what you think and if you like it. Personally, I think it has a great ring to it but my view is a bit biased.

Hope everyone is doing well. On a final note, Michelle just bought a house and I might be moving in with her to help defray the cost of her mortgage and get me out of my house. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up there. Take care and let me know if you want to go grab a beer at some point.

1 comment:

deezer said...

Hi Justin,
Not sure if you want this comment to be public or whatever on your page, but here goes!! I went out with a guy for 2 years before I went to japan. For the year that I was there he was on the phone for the first few months all the time, telling me he missed me, but I knew deep down that I had done the right thing to experience Japan at that time, and not stay in Dublin. So, at Christmas he came and visited. He had a ball and understood why i liked it so much and why i wanted to stay. He then went home to Ireland.

He called me every day for 6 weeks... he was so upset that i was planning on staying for year 2. So, as I was a JET we had to recontract in Feb, I decided not to recontract because of the fact that he asked me to come home. I knew that I would never get a chance to do Japan again but I thought that if the shoe was on the other foot that's what I would want from my partner. I was 22 at the time.

In golden week I went to Bali (April time of year), in May I was dumped by phone. In July I had to come home - I was devestated, and certainly didn't want to see him again. I've been back nearly 4 years, and last summer was the first time that he got in touch since I came home. I have forgiven him for trashing my chances at a second year as a jet, but not for how he treated me. I've had a bunch of boyfriends since and realised that it was actually the best thing possible for us to end it that way. Well, it was important that it ended!! He was an ass, I now know that I can do WAY better - and I am sure so can you.

When you are away you can build things up in your head to be more than they are - in the cold light of day, when a little more time has passed you'll realise that you're probably better off with someone else.

Or, who knows in 3 years you might be in different places and your paths will cross again.

Tip though - you won't get a girl while wearing crocs in public- sorry man