9.28.2007

The Craziness In My Life

So, for those of you who do not know, the company I am working for has been in financial turmoil for about 3 weeks now - pretty much just as I arrived. The managers were not paid on pay day and were promised pay four times without receiving it. The Japanese staff was not paid on their scheduled pay day either. To me, it looked as though the company was surely going to fold, no if, ands, or buts. As a result, Joel and I decided we would attempt to start doing private lessons.

Yesterday, we met with two of our Japanese friends to discuss our business adventure and to see if either of them would be interested in helping out. Needles to say, as we were in a packed city, sitting at a Starbucks, a manger walks by and informs us he had been paid. Later that day, I found out that the Japanese staff had been paid. Needless to say, I am rather weary of working for NOVA and have put in applications at other companies. It seems as though NOVA knew the maximum point to push its employees as a teacher strike was called for Saturday/today. I feel like they are just going to string us along as we will have to wait two more weeks to see if we even get paid.

I hate not knowing if I am going to get paid or if the company is going to fold. I was all excited to start a business but now that plan is on hold until we figure out if NOVA will pay. I just have this feeling that NOVA is going to get as much money as possible from the students and then its going to shaft the instructors. The one nice thing, if instructors are not paid on the 15 they will strike on the 16th and NOVA will definitely fold.

I have found out that I eat when I am stressed, that is my way of coping. 90% of the time I am alright with things but then the other 10% I get a little nervous. Also, every once in a while I smoke to help ease the nerves. However, no more of that. I decided I need to shift my perspective and start focusing on the long term, not the short term. Hope everyone is doing well and having fun, I know I am even as crazy as things are...

No comments: