12.11.2010

Office Update

One semester just ended and I am half way finished with my contract. When they say that time flies, it does. I cannot believe I have been in Korea for over 6 months now. A year is definitely a very short time and I will probably re-sign with Avalon after my first contract is over. The end of the semester is always good and bad.

First, the negatives. The kids already know if they leveled up or are staying at the same level. Therefore, there is no real incentive for the kids to try. So, classes tend to be a bit louder and a bit more out of control. Also, with one semester ending a new one is beginning. Therefore, I need to prepare for the next semester which includes checking all my books, checking the syllabus for my level, creating 160 Reading Questions for my representative level, preparing for Winter Intensives which means creating two lessons, as well as a lesson plan for my level. So, the end of the semester is quite busy.

With that being said, after three months, I am ready for new classes. I am looking forward to getting some new students and a bit of a change in pace. Also, there are no essays to grade. By far, that is my least favorite part of the job, grading essays for students when they continually make the same mistakes over and over again. No essays for two weeks which is wonderful. I have a new schedule which I am quite pleased with. I will be teaching the highest level as well as a class to prepare students for Cheongshim, an international middle school. I also have three JA levels which is the highest intermediate level and a JI class, the middle of the road. I have break at the same time throughout the week and an extra break Tuesday/Thursday which is nice. However, on Wednesdays I teach four straight classes. Nevertheless, I love my schedule and I am looking forward to the new semester.

Here are some quick photos from the office:


(Mindy, first co-worker to ask me to dinner. There's not much communication at times so I was quite pleased when she asked me to dinner. She is also the one who recently got married.)


(Justin and Lucy, part of the corner I am in. I sit directly across from Lucy, right next to the wall and Liz.)


(Liz)


(The Head Instructor Anna. Yes, she is Korean but she is the Head Foreign teacher)


(Middle School Teachers)


(Elementary School Teachers - Calvin and Jen)


(Ciaran - last day at Avalon. He's coming back to Korea but will be teaching at a different company.)


(Benjamin taught in the Middle School for two years. Great guy, it was his last day as well. I did get an invite to South Africa and might take him up on his offer.)

2 comments:

>96 said...

I cannot wait until the end of the semester in January. While I love my current classes, I need a change. I also need to feel like the year is progressing along. Regardless of being so much fun, teaching is also so tiring! Have a good two weeks of recharging!

Spenser said...

i'm disappointed that I didn't make your office photo shoot. tsk tsk.