12.22.2010

Children's Grand Park

Last weekend started off on the eventful side. We decided to go to the local bar after work on Friday and have a few drinks to end the week. I didn't end up getting home until about 4:30 in the morning. We ended up drinking for a while, then headed to a McDonalds. Spenser, who tries not to eat meat and does not eat fast food was the champ, downing a four piece chicken nugget and a double quarter pounder with cheese before going back to order an additional ten piece chicken nugget. After that, three of us went to the sauna while Spenser made his way home. The sauna was nice but I think they turn the temperature down at that time of night to save some money. So, it was not nearly as warm as I would have liked it.

Saturday was a photo hunt with Chelsea and Spenser which was a complete failure. We really had no plan but decided to go to the History and Culture Park somewhere. Turns out the History and Culture Park isn't quite open yet and there's a giant green fence all the way around it. Nevertheless, Saturday was successful because Spenser did help me find a guitar that was reasonably priced. So, starting in January, or perhaps sooner, I will again attempt to play, or I should say learn to play, the guitar.

On Sunday, Katrina and I went to the Children's Grand Park in Seoul earlier in the morning. It's a nice place to go but I would only recommend half a day. There's a free zoo so I got to see some animals. Quite sad though, seeing them trapped in a space that tiny, many of them trying to claw at doors or the ground. There are lots of play areas for children as well. And, some other weird and wacky things. Afterward, we ended up going to see Harry Potter. I was not impressed but then again I've never been really impressed. We also went to an arcade in the movie theater which was fun. Here are some pictures:


(The Entrance to the Park)


(Some snails)


(Cool animal of some sort)


(Katrina with some more of the animals. If anyone knows what they are, please share.)


(Water wheel - I believe they spray it at night. Nevertheless, I still like the ice.)


(Some stone statues)


(Fairy tale land with some wooden totemesque poles)


(I believe it's from a Korean fairy tale. Again, if you know, please share.)


(They had some very interesting roots/natural sculptures/interesting displays)


(I'm not sure if this is the same guy or not. In the background you can see some of the roots.)


(Some more totemesque poles - don't know the meaning)


(In the summer this area is filled with water and it's a mini water park for kids)


(Ok, this is the one that gets me. The polar bear was scratching at the ice and Katrina and I couldn't figure out why. Then we saw a picture of a polar bear in the wild clawing through the ice so he could do some ice fishing. Too bad for this bear all he'll get to eat is concrete once he gets through the ice.)


(Sleeping lion)


(Katrina with two sleeping tigers - good thing they are sleeping...)


(This was a cool little area inside one of the buildings within the park. Katrina and the giant heart.)


(Pictures inside the heart)


(Me with a little famous cartoon)


(Me and another famous cartoon)


(Just hanging out with the wooden sculptures)


(Another awesome ice sculpture/formation)


(Grain elevator turned into art)


(I was giving the stone statue a hand holding the egg up)


(These monkeys were intelligent. Somewhere you could buy food for the monkeys and they would stick their hands out to ask for food. After they got one piece they would do a trick of some sort to try and get another piece.)


(Katrina at the arcade. This game was sweet! There were only three different buttons and hundreds of games you could play using the three buttons.)


(My beverage of choice before Harry Potter. Plus, I just was taking random photos with my camera.)


(I wish I knew how to use my camera better. If you look closely, only the green in this photo shows up. I love the concept, the picture not so much. I just need to dink around with it a little more I guess.)


I hope everyone has a very happy holiday, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. I am going to a community house with all of my co-workers, Katrina, and some other friends for Christmas where we will get a real ham dinner - EXCITING! Then, we are going to go into Seoul and go ice skating at Seoul Plaza. It should be a wonderful Christmas in Korea, not quite the same as in America, but it will suffice. To my family and friends, I love you guys and miss you! Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the company of those closest to you.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Here is the name of the mystery creature, as well as the yellow "famous cartoon":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiezhi

It's the official mascot of Seoul. There's a store somewhere that you can buy them.