6.17.2010

Argentina 4, Korea 1

Contrary to the states, World Cup Soccer is very popular in many foreign countries, including Korea. This past Thursday, Korea was playing Argentina and if you haven't guessed by the title, it was a devastating loss for the Fighting Reds of South Korea. In case you don't know, I am not much of a soccer fan myself (nor Nascar for that matter). Anyway, one of the guys from work kind of follows soccer and invited myself and another guy out for drinks on Thursday night. We got to the 'Western' Bar around 10:15 and from there, it was 30 minutes of non-stop fun. We ordered a beer the got a red shot on the house. The lady bartenders were screaming and yelling and singing and dancing the whole time. Meanwhile, Korea is losing 3 to 1 but there is still this sense of hope. Even after Argentina went up another goal, every time Korea would touch the ball, even in the defensive half, those in the bar would stand up, hoping for a goal. It was unlike anything I have ever seen in regards to sporting events.

I finished my beer and ordered a second round for the guys. By this time, the game was over and the next thing we knew, there were three more shots lined up in front of us. Everyone around the bar had a shot, I am guessing to celebrate the game but who knows. Anyway, down the hatch that shot goes and before I knew it, while everyone was standing for the shot, the one bartender shouted in English, "Nobody sit, dance party now!" On comes this loud music, which is Korea's theme song for the World Cup, the whole bar is holding hands in the air and swinging them back and forth, and everyone is singing this song. I am holding the Korean man's hand to my right and a co-workers to the left. I look at the door, people walking by are stopping to see what is going on in this bar and why all the yelling. Thirty minutes of craziness.

We settled up on on bill and then walked home. I thought it had to be mid-night all the fun I was having. Sweat was pouring down my body. Korea has a very humid climate, more so than Pennsylvania to give you an idea. I checked my watch and it was only 11. It was a lot of fun in a short period of time. I wonder if it is because we were foreigners or if that is how things typically operate at that particular bar. Neither one would surprise me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey JC,

Here Decky comes.
fist comment on you diarly.

How's everything going?
I'm quite sure that you are doing well with everthing. it doesnt matter wherever you live, does it?

I heard from Hiroko that you are planning to visit JP. What a news!!
Than sounds so exciting.
well, but sadly I'm not able to meet up with you guys.

Have fun with guys and nice Hiroko's family!
drop a line once in a while!

your friend
Decky

Anonymous said...

I'm liking your world cup updates! :)
I just started my blog from here in guatemala, here it is if you want to check it out -
http://annieguatemala.tumblr.com

Be safe and have fun!
-Cousin Annie