6.04.2010

Medical Check

Today, in order to get my Alien Registration Card, I had to take a medical exam. The cost -55,000\ or roughly $55. However, the expenses were picked up by Avalon. The entire process was set up as an assembly line which was new to me. Instead of having one doctor take my height and weight, then check my hearing and vision, I moved right down the line to a new station.

Station 1: Weight and height. There was an electronic device that came down, touched my head gently, then went right back up again. Weight – 63 kg or 139 pounds. The last time I was this weight was Japan and before that, I believe it was my freshman year in high school. I do a lot more walking each day and eat far less, at least for the moment. For two weeks, it was difficult to get any kind of breakfast at the love motel or after I moved in to the new apartment. Height – 173 cm or 5’8”.

Station 2: Blood Pressure and Colorblindness. Passed with flying colors. 120 over 80 – healthy for adults and, I am still not colorblind.

Station 3: Vision. Did another quick colorblindness check and then covered my left eye and read the chart. After that, switched and read the chart with the other eye. One eye was a 10, the other a 12.

Station 4: Hearing Test. Whichever ear beeped, I raised my hand. Easy, only went through four test.

Station 5: Chest X-Ray. Walked in, the doctor or nurse placed the machine over my chest and I grabbed some handles on the back side. Heard the noise and then I heard, “finished.”

Station 6: Medical Interview. I walked in with Eric, the Avalon Handyman who has taken care of me so far. He is the one who got me bedding, pots and pans, towels, dishes, silverware, and cleaning supplies. He also picked me up today to take me to the medical check. Anyway, he walked in with me and the doctor asked him to leave. I am guessing for patient confidentiality purposes but who knows. The doctor looks over the chart, says, “healthy, healthy. Where are you from? America?”

I said yes and then he asked where in America. I told him Pennsylvania.
He said, “Ah, Philadelphia.”
“Yep,” I replied and then told him I was from Hershey.
Then, he blew my mind. “Amish,” he said and I nodded.
That was my medical questions examination.

Station 7: Blood and Urine. Plain and simple. I peed in a cup then a female nurse or doctor took blood.

According to Eric, it takes about a week to get the results back and then I can apply for my Alien Registration Card which takes another two weeks. After that, I can get a cell phone. I was extremely impressed with the efficiency of the entire process and figured Mr. Ford would be proud.

No comments: