3.27.2011

B-Day Celebration

Last Friday night I invited all of my co-workers out for a birthday dinner. It is common for foreign teachers to come; however, we have yet to have a birthday celebration with Koreans. The only time we see our Korean teachers outside of work is either grabbing a coffee before works starts at Dunkin' Doughnuts or occasionally, at the end of the semester, we will go out and have a dinner to welcome new teachers and say goodbye to those who are leaving. So, I was quite surprised when all of the Korean teachers showed up (except for the management).

It wasn't anything special, we went and had some galbi, a few drinks, and hung out. After dinner the Korean teachers went home and we all went to Ju-rok, our Cheers. We played a round of darts and then had an interesting walk home. Overall, a great night and nothing too crazy.

This past weekend I had to work on Saturday and teach an animation class. I got paid a little extra to watch Peter Pan for 50 minutes out of a two hour class. Then I taught the kids some vocabulary, we did a little comprehension, as well as some dictation. An easy day. After that, Spenser and I headed into Seoul to do some camera shopping. This is the great debate in my life right now - whether or not to purchase a fancy SLR camera or buy a cheap $100 camera. If you have any feedback, let me know. Needless to say, I didn't buy a camera. We met up with his friend Amarice, ate dinner, played some Bishy-Bashy, then Spenser and I came back to Suwon to finish the evening at O-ma's. I kept the Sabbath holy this week and just did a little R and R on Sunday.

This weekend I am headed on a hike, which hopefully will be beautiful, and to a cherry blossom festival. A few of my co-workers and friends will be on the hike so I'm sure someone will get some good pictures! Hope everyone is doing great!


(I'm not a fan of soju but this was a gift from Justin - a bottle of North Korean soju he bought at the DMZ)


(I don't remember what I said or if it was even me that said it, but whatever it was, I think it was funny - good times)


(Spenser, myself, and Lucy. Lucy sits directly across from me in the office so I talk to her quite a bit - notice her pose.)


(Spenser and I doing the 'Lucy')


(Liz sits next to me in the office and she is probably the one I talk to the most. She is super nice and super quiet. Plus, she had to work on Saturday so i was excited she came out.)


(Justin had a little too much to drink... actually, Erik spilled some sort of beverage on him.)


(Liz and Mindy. Mindy is great! She speaks slang English more than any of the other teachers and will say, "Hey. What's up?" and the like. Also, she doesn't hold anything back, which is another reason I like her.)


(From Left to Right - Liz, Mindy, Me, Grace, Ashley, and Lucy - the Korean teachers except for Chelice, Ellen, and Anna)


(Throwing Darts)


(The end of the walk home. I think I skateboarded for about 20 minutes with Spenser and Erik. It's a lot more difficult than it looks.)

2 comments:

Backpackbees said...

Do you have a facebook? We enjoyed checking out your blog.. we have one as well on our adventures in Korea. Please feel free to check out www.backpackbees.com

Thanks!

The Backpackbees

Ping said...

Hey, RLB,
So much of Korea looks so much like China: street-vendor food, gates and pagodas. You have SUCH a charming personality, that it is no surprise that your co-workers ....cute, young women!!!....found time to attend your party! Fun, fun! We'll try to find out more about Bishy-Bashy. Take care, PoliPoli and Plowboy