3.06.2011

March 1st, 2011 - Interactive Art and the Hope of Curly Fries

This past Tuesday we got the day off work because March 1st is a National Holiday in Korea. From my understanding, March 1st, 1919 was one of the earliest displays from the Korean people showing that they wanted independence from the Japanese. On a side note, when I went to the Korean War Memorial two weekends ago, I learned the 38th parallel was an arbitrary line drawn by the US and Soviet Union determining which country had to clear out the Japanese armed forces in the region. Enough with the history.

I went to an art exhibit I had read about in a Newspaper which my kids in class had to read. It was an interactive art exhibit and the first time I have ever been to an interactive art exhibit. As you'll see from the pictures, it was quite entertaining and something I would do again. There were a few different sections: interactive artwork, a mirror section, a comic book section, as well as optical illusions and an Ames Room.

Afterward we had planned on going to Yaletown, a Canadian owned bar that serves their burgers with all you can eat curly fries! Exciting? Yes! Spenser told me on the bus ride into Seoul that not only did you get a delicious burger but also unlimited curly fries. I pretty much starved myself until 2 pm for the feast. However, when we arrived, sadly, Yaletown was closed and would not open for another 3 hours. We tried Outback but they had a 50 minute wait. So, we had Burger King instead. (Unfortunately, I must admit since this posting, I have been to Yaletown and I am not in any hurry to go back. The burger was alright but the curly fries were down right awful, soft, and a little sweet - nothing like the Arby's seasoned curly fries I had envisioned in my head.) Since I had the day off I finished it in Yeongtong and made Katrina dinner. And that folks, was my vacation. Enjoy the pictures!


(Ever wonder why the scream guy makes that face? Now you know.)


(Chagall needed a little help so I gave him a hand)


(I decided to add a few pounds to Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. In case you can't tell, that is a pump behind me.)


(I cleaned up Klempt)


(Erik was a bit upset as this fair lady chose me over him)


(Hilarious. This little girl, I believe, actually thought she was pulling on the picture and walked backwards about 6 feet. Her mom picked her up and set her back down again and told her to put her hands on the painting, which she did, but then started backing up again. Super cute!)


(This is how you were supposed to stand for the picture.)


(Optical illusion - What do you see first, vases or people?)


(The mirror exhibit may have been sweet but there were far too many people to get a good shot. You can see this kid, then you see him again in the mirror along with his father taking the picture. If you stood where his father was and took the picture it would look, in the picture, as though he were playing this woman in ping pong.)


(Comic book time. These pictures were massive. Here I am getting an axe to the chest.)


(I am boarding my boat to begin another journey)


(Erik pulls out a mortal combat move and smokes this dragon)


(The final battle against Satan himself)


(A place where you could actually be in the picture and it is supposed to look like artwork)


(The Ames Room - if you never knew, it looks as though I am taller than Erik. In reality, he's 6'4 and I'm 5'9)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! this looks so fun!where is this located in seoul? i am leaving from the states tomorrow and would love to stop by here.

Ping said...

We just love "RLB nights", when we catch up on reading your blog! We learn so much about Korea! Congratulations on the head teacher position....Sounds like your school recognizes talent and ability when they see it! Small classes are nice....we have up to 67 per class, and have a very hard time getting to know our 1500 students by name! Love your photos...lots of interesting compositions, RLB. Enjoyed the art gallery, too. Hello to Katrina, Love, PoliPoli and Plowboy