12.27.2011

Christmas Korean Style

The title is a bit deceiving seeing as how it isn't really Korean style. From what I gather, Christmas is a little different to each and every person in Korea. Younger couples use it as a Valentine's Day of sorts. Families will often by Christmas cakes to celebrate. And a rare few will get gifts from their parents. Of course, there are probably millions who do not even celebrate the holiday. While some of my students were going to spend the whole day at church. Christians in Korea have seemed to accepted the importance of Christmas in their faith without bringing the materialistic expectations we have in the West into the holiday. I guess you could say, for many, it's what Christmas was meant to be - celebrating the birth of Jesus. For me, it's just another holiday. Unfortunately, it fell on a Sunday so we didn't get any time off of work. Again, just illustrates the importance of X-mas in Korea.

With that being said, we had a delicious lunch with lots of food: ham, garlic mashed potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes, tuna casserole, home-made mac 'n' cheese, corn, rolls, and black bean burgers for the vegetarians in the group. We also had a few cocktails as well as ice cream and cheese cake (thank you Chelsea) for dessert! Afterwards, we continued on tradition of ice skating in Seoul for the second year in a row. It was a wonderful Christmas year and I'm thankful I had such wonderful people to spend Christmas with.


(Our Christmas spread on the dining table. The table itself was about 6 inches off the ground so we all ate on the floor.)


(Black bean burgers for the vegetarians)


(Here we have the meat and potatoes, as well as the corn and tuna noodle casserole)


(Drew and Harry hanging on the couch afterwards)


(This shot idealizes everything Chelsea is, at least in my opinion. Katrina is rocking a new Christmas shirt she got this year.)


(It was a great time and I had a smile on my face most of the day!)


(Katrina and I at the subway station before going ice skating - cute picture)


(Nice artistic work by Spenser)


(This was the ice skating group - Spenser, Harry, Katrina, myself, Lina, and Drew)


(Whoooooo - great time in my rental skates, pulling Katrina around. Actually, she does a pretty good job skating and I don't even have to pull her that much! Great times!!!)


(Katrina enjoying her skate)


(Katrina with the tree in the background)


(This was our Christmas ice skating experience. In the heart of Seoul, skating on a little sheet of ice. It was a fantastic day!)


(This is me standing with the rink in the right of the picture with the giant tree behind me)


(O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree - my bamboo tree)


(Katrina's tree which was hand made by her mother and shipped over last year)


(How could a Christmas be complete without stockings? Compliments of Katrina's mom.)


(I would say we were both good this year. It was nice to be able to have some gifts this year and be able to celebrate Christmas. I know we both felt love, from friends, family, and each other.

No comments: