12.19.2011

End of the Fall 2011 Semester - Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes

The last day of this fall semester was a little different. For a lot of the students, many of whom I've taught for over a year now, it was their time to take the leap up to Ivy (aka Middle School). Many of the students I've built relationships with and connected with I will no longer teach, which, at least for me, is a bit sad. I miss a lot of the students, remember a few, and hopefully keep in touch with some. It was a great time and I'm very thankful to have been able to teach this group of students. Here are photos of the final Friday with many of these students:


(This is my JA class with Brian, Mikey, Jack Attack in the Back, Ian, Julia, Tiffany, Irene, See Yu, Emily, Cathy, Jenny, and Jane. Colleen was missing today. This is one of my favorite photos and they were a great class!)


(Irene hiding in the front with Emily behind her and Tiffany working hard. See Yu and Jane are in the back.)


(Tiffany had her head down the entire class. I eventually got her to take one good photo.)


(Brian with the peace sign)


(See Yu also supporting the peace sign with Jane resting on her shoulder. Ian resting next to Jack Attack in the Back. Remember, many of these students go to school, come to Avalon for two hours, and then go off to Math or Science Academy afterwards. They do this Monday Wednesday Friday and will attend another academy or two on Tuesday, Thursday, and sometimes Saturday. No wonder Koreans far surpass Americans in education...)


(This was my GA class - second highest level. They were a wonderful class and I really got to know the students this semester. From left to right we have Heidi, Eunsuh, Michelle, Cindy, Kevin, Nick, Erik, Charlie, Harry, Isavel, Jenny, and Amy. All except three of these students moved on to Ivy. So, I was a bit sad to see this class go.)


(This is me with the girls. Amy was not one for pictures and she never seemed to joke around in class, but she wrote me a very sweet letter at the end of the year.)


(Erik and Charlie, hamming it up. I taught Charlie in our Cheongshim preparation class so I've had him for over a year. As you can tell, the boys definitely had a lot of energy in the class.)


(Although Cindy was quiet in class, she was very intelligent and one of my favorite students. I continue to email her and hope to do so in the future.)


(Amy and Jenny - Amy not wanting her photo taken)


(Charlie supporting the peace sign and Erik hamming it up again)


(Isavel was one of the few students to say hello every day and for the most part, have a smile on her face. As you can guess, some students really do not want to attend all these academies but are 'forced' to do so by their parents who are hoping to give them any advantage in life.)


(Taking attendance)


(There are anywhere from 2 to 14 students in each of my classes. This class had 13 and the girls and boys, as you can tell, do not like sitting together.)


(This is the best of the best - AO. We have Sue, Jennifer, myself, Peter, Sebastian, and Grant. Missing from the photo are Judy and Jonathan.)


(This is with Spenser and Chelice, my Korean co-teacher for a few of my classes. She usually teaches the upper levels and also dedicates a lot of time preparing the students for Cheongshim. She's a wonderful co-teacher and expects a lot from her students - my kind of teacher.)


(Jennifer and Sue doing some work)


(The guys hanging out in class)


(Sebastian is the one student this year who made it into Cheongshim. This is one of his photos up at Avalon. He also has his photo on the buses. It's a big deal, great for the school, and most importantly, fantastic for Sebastian, who deserved it.)

No comments: