9.18.2013

My First Time... Acupuncture

Even while I was in Korea, I never took the time to get acupuncture.  A friend and co-worker went a few times and said he enjoyed it.  Plus, it was super cheap in Korea, costing about 3,000 won or $3 if I remember correctly.  Well, fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, Shereen is taking a class to become certified so she can administer acupuncture.  And, guess who gets to help her study?  Which, also means she pokes me with needles in various places.  

The experience itself was unlike any other.  Surprisingly, the initial part of the process, putting the needle in, really didn't hurt at all.  There were a few times there was a slight pinch, but nothing more.  The strangest sensations came from when she would start to move the needle around once it was in a certain location.  Some times I could feel my muscles fire, other times it was that weird sensation you get throughout your entire body that kind of tingles.  After she was finished, my leg felt like it had just finished a workout and the muscles were fatigued.  It was quite interesting and I would definitely do it again.  

I do believe the next time she goes back to class, she learns how to put electrodes or an electrical shock through the needle.  So, I'm sure that will be quite the sensation in and of itself.  I guess your muscles can fire like crazy when that happens.  Hopefully, I'll be able to let you know.  Anyway, here are a few photos from our acupuncture session.  We also did a bit of studying afterwards, so who knows, if you're interested, I might be able to stick a needle or two in you.  Enjoy!

 (This was not the first needle, but the first one for the camera.  If I remember it is supposed to help either with the stomach or the gall bladder.  They are supposed to stay in for around 20 minutes, however, she just needed to memorize 20 points, so each one only stayed in for 5 minutes tops.)


 (A few times I had 2 needles going at the same time)


 (Here's a closer view, just wish it would have been a little better lighting)


 (My artsy shot for the day - no jump photo this time...  not allowed to move with the needles in)


(Close up)


(This one went between my big toe and second tie and went in pretty deep)


(Saddie watched as I was getting poked.  She had the chance to volunteer but decided against it...)


(I guess I took another artsy shot)

1 comment:

Laverne Bodnar said...

Since we're talking about needles, we usually expect the pain. Surprisingly indeed, those needles aren't that painful. I'm glad you enjoyed your first acupuncture session. I bet you scheduled yourself for another therapy. Hehe! Hope you share more of your acupuncture adventures in the future. Thanks for this post! :)

Laverne Bodnar @ USHealthWorks.com/Sacramento-Downtown-Center.html