5.07.2014

Lahaina and the Banyan Tree

A few years ago, probably close to 7 or 8 now, my grandparents paid for the kids and grandkids to take a cruise around Hawaii.  I remember Lahaina and the Banyan Tree, as well as the fact that my cousin and I took surf lessons on the beach.  So, when Rebecca said she wanted to go and check it out, I was all in favor.  Her previous employer, Spruce Bruce, had recommended a coffee shop in the area, an Italian one.  

The drive over from Kihei was about half an hour with a decent view of the coastline.  We parked a few blocks off the main road and started our adventure.  We made our way to the Banyan Tree first, seeing as how that was the main attraction, for us anyway.  Sadly, we were both put off by the vendors and commercial use (some might say exploitation) of the tree itself.  So, we did a bit of walking and found ourselves in an art gallery.  We asked and got semi-helpful directions to the 'Italian coffee shop.'  Then we strolled on the beach for a bit, watching a few 'surfers' give it a go for the first time.  We made our way back into town, stopping to ask at least 3 people if they knew of the 'Italian Coffee Shop.'  (For some reason, a name was never given in regards to the coffee shop.  A few people recommended a gelato place that sold coffee.)  Needless to say, we never did find it. 

We spent the evening watching the sunset, quite possibly my favorite Hawaiian activity, and making some delicious food on the grill.  




(Got the Hawaiian theme going on in the shopping plaza we walked through)


(The Banyan Tree information)


(I spotted a model as I was strolling through the Banyan Tree...)


(I must admit, the tree itself was quite impressive and well worth the view.  Incredible, in fact.)


(Requisite jump shot)


(A view of the vines/branches/roots intertwining)


(From my understanding, given the opportunity, these vines will come down and form new roots)


(A little Banyan Love...  We only got asked twice if we were on our honeymoon...)


(Another shot of us and the Banyan Tree)


(I spotted the same model, this time posing in front of an anchor)


(Inside the art gallery.  This piece was really textured and came out probably a good inch from the canvas.)


(Here's a boat.  I'm sure it has a special name, I just don't know what it is...)


(Someone picking bananas and I can assure you it wasn't this guy - looks like model hands to me...)


(Not sure what this captain was doing but I found myself attempting to do the same thing...)


 (Awwww...  cute, wonder who wrote that in the sand?)


 (Foot shot)


(This beach was literally a 3 minute walk from our room.  The beach itself wasn't that great; however, it was perfect for sunsets.)


(Happened to run into that model just in time for sunset, so we watched it together...)


 (And then we started having fun - a unibrow and a mustache)


(And Rebecca wanted to get it just right...)


 (A little better I guess...)


 (Pyahhh!)
 (And I can no longer see and her hair is in my mouth...)


(We feasted for dinner - pork chops for the meat eater, grilled salmon for the pescitarian, shish kabobs, grilled pineapple, kale salad, onion rings, and a beer.  We both enjoy food, that's for sure.  Do not fret, we had leftovers...)

No comments: