7.17.2010

Manseok Park

On Friday night, Spenser came with me over to Katrina's apartment. Katrina's power cord on her Mac Book (tsk tsk Macs) had not been working so she wanted to go up to Seoul to get another cord. While Spenser and I were on the bus I got a text message - her cord worked again. So, we just ended up hanging out Friday night and drinking Makali (fermented rice wine). We woke up on Saturday with a new objective - go to Itaewon for another falafel sandwich. We were down a man because Katrina wasn't feeling good. In fact, she hasn't been feeling good for quite a few days now. So, Spenser and I were going to make the journey ourselves.

On our way to the bus stop, about a 10 minute walk, we got drenched. Spenser's umbrella turned inside out and quite a few times, mine almost flew out of my hands. Welcome to Monsoon season in Korea - 60% chance of rain everyday according to the Weather Channel, and that's on the 10 day forecast. Again, WELCOME to the Monsoon Season. Therefore, Itaewon was out and Suwon Station was in. We went to the station and walked around quite a bit, I was able to "Have it My Way," with a delicious flame broiled Whopper and onion rings for lunch.

After checking out the station we headed over to Home Plus (aka the Wal-Mart of Target of Korea). Spenser hadn't been yet and I know what it's like being the new guy so I walked him over there. Afterward, I came home, cleaned up a bit, did some laundry and waited for Katrina to come over. In order to celebrate me quitting smoking and our - dah da dah - one year anniversary of living together, we got pizza, or should I say pizzas, one cheese, for you know who, and a Super Combi (sausage, peperoni, green peppers, onions, and CORN - yes, for some reason they put corn on their pizza, including cheese pizzas). Also, I got some wings! Not bad, not good, just wings. I also confirmed I can call and order pizza from the place since I go in there once a week. I told the guy when I call I'll say "Mi-guk" which means American and "Cheesu Pizza" which means Cheese pizza (but they say cheezu) or whatever I wanted. He just smiled and nodded. His wife said "10 minu" and I said, "Yes, 10 minutes" and she said, "Yes, minutes, minutes, minutes." At least I can order the pizza in advance now which I am pretty stoked about.

As for the quitting smoking, I've been trying since Japan and have yet to kick the habit. However, I recently read Alan Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" and I now consider myself cured. What I couldn't do in two years he did in two days, of course with my help since I read the book.

Today, Katrina and I went to Manseok Park and here are some pictures:


(On the way to the park you can see the highest structure from the Fortress, the one that is at the top of my blog)


(On the way to the park I saw this giant bug moving on the ground only to realize it was being dragged by an ant. By far, my favorite animal photo of ALL TIME!)


(A lone Lotus Flower with background)


(Me at the park)


(Romance is blooming - Happy One Year Anniversary of Living Together)


(Just a cool little bridge that I liked)


(Katrina hanging out on a bench, enjoying the view)


(Traditional structure located in the park)


(View of the lake/pond at the park)


There is also a trail which runs around the park that is 1.6 kms long or 1 mile. I think I am going to start running around once I get back from Japan to try and get in shape again and get some of the gunk out of my lungs. I did enjoy the park because it is so quiet. Obviously, there are cars and buses within 100 meters at all time. However, due to the planning it was exceptionally quiet.

Hope you had a nice weekend!

No comments: