8.14.2010

The Wheely King

Last week, while attempting to perform a wheely, which I knew to be next to impossible, although I thought I should try anyway, I broke the chain on my bike. I am a bit of a competitive person I challenged the other bike rider in the work group, the Irishman, Ciaran, to a wheely contest. Although my chain broke and my bike was only in the air for about a second, I did in fact win the contest because he didn't even give it a try.

One time, when I was younger, I tried to do a wheely. It was the best wheely ever because I ended up on my back.

The next day I took my bike back to the place where I bought it. I was expecting a new chain and at least a $20 fee for the repair, especially since I can't speak the language. Boy was I wrong! The owner of the shop pulled out some tool, popped off about two chains on either side of the broken link and then pulled out a new chain. He popped off probably three links in the new chain then attached the new chain to the old one. Before I left, he checked my tires and put a little air in each one. Total cost 5,000 won.

Spenser and I started doing lesson exchanges with the guys at work in hopes to improve our Korean. I believe Spenser is going for some type of fluency. Me, I'm just trying to survive and know what the food is when I go in to a restaurant without any pictures. However, these is a bit of excitement that comes from just randomly picking something on a menu and then waiting to see what you end with to eat.

Last weekend, thanks to Hiroko, we met up with some of her Korean friends from W.S.U. - Go Cougs! It was the first time meeting Sophie and Ian but I had a great time. I exchanged a few emails with Ian and he asked what I liked to do. I informed him that I was into the historical aspects of life. So, we ended up going to a famous Buddhist temple in the heart of Seoul. After that, we went and say traditional houses. Then, we had coffee at this place with a fantastic view, close to the Blue House (the Korean equivalent of the White House). However, I didn't get to see the President's home.

After coffee we walked around a bit more and Ian asked if I liked beer. OF COURSE! We ended up going to a Bier Garten or a Beer Garden. There is a cup holder sunk into the corner of each table. The holders are metal and freeze if you hit a button so your beer stays cold the entire time you drink it! Why, in America, do we not have this yet? The only thing I can think of is that we drink our beer before it gets warm. However, I loved this idea. We also got some nachos and pizza to share.

Katrina and I had a great time and we can't wait to see Ian and Sophie again. They were headed to a water park this weekend and invited us to join but I am feeling sick at the moment. I don't know what the deal is but snot is just flowing out of my nose and has been for two days now. If I blow it out, I have a clear nose for about two minutes. If I plug it with tissue paper, my eyes get watery but it last for about 10 minutes. If I do nothing, it literally just runs out of my nose, down to my lips. I got 2000% of my daily Vitamin C intake yesterday thanks to the Vitamin C drinks they have in Korea and the multi-vitamin I take. I was hoping today my runny nose would be gone - no such luck.

Stay tuned for pictures. Intensives are over this Tuesday so it's back to the 2pm to 10 pm schedule shortly. In two weeks I will be finished with a quarter of my contract - time flies when you have a job. I am still not 100% convinced about this whole working thing but I guess if I have to do it, this is a great job for me, at least for now!

No comments: