11.18.2010

Checkertails

I am always thankful when I come across good people and this Thursday was such an occasion. My friend and co-worker, Jen, who is Canadian and my Wing Woman when we go out, actually has a few friends at the U.S. Air Force Base close to where we live. Anyway, one of her friends invited us on base for breakfast. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I cannot tell you the last time I had a breakfast that delicious - maybe six months now. We went to Checkertails. I had pancakes with blueberry fruit topping, blueberry syrup, two eggs, and sausage. I will still a bit hungry so I ordered another breakfast - eggs, toast, hash browns, and bacon. Like I said, to anyone in the States, this would be a joke but it was a great day, which I kept saying over and over again.

After breakfast we headed to the shopping mall which was actually like a shopping mall. The store blew my mind. It is amazing the simple things I have forgotten about since being in Korea such as Pop Tarts and Hot Pockets. There was so much food in the store that I haven't seen in such a long time. I guess it goes back to the old adage out of sight, out of mind. The gentleman who took us, Jesse, was a great guy. He ended up buying me some Sour Cream and Cheddar Chips. As stoked as I was about my chips, Justin, another co-worker was pumped that he could find light blue Gatorade. Like I said, the simple things you take for granted. The guys on base cannot accept money for anything they buy for people off base. Like I said, just a great guy. Sadly, he is leaving in a week, heading back to the States for the holidays, then headed to Italy. There is also a Chili's on the base and Jen said she might be able to get us back on again for a dinner at some point. In order to get on the base, you need to be signed on by military personnel.

Talk about reverse culture shock. At one point I said something along the lines of, "Look at all these foreigners." By foreigners, I was referring to my fellow Americans who, to me, are not really foreigners. But, it was just one of those things that baffled me, seeing that many Americans in one place at one time. Also, like I said, the food just blew me away and I had the biggest smile on my face and was super pumped before and after breakfast. Such small things as being able to order food exactly how you want it, eggs over easy. Impossible with my level of Korean. Most of the time I point at a picture and whatever comes out, I eat. There were signs in English that I could actually read. They had Thanksgiving advertisements all over the place. People were speaking English. Like I said, living in the States, these are things you don't think twice about; however, in Korea, it was a bit much. Currency with someone I recognize, a dollar bill with George Washington on it (I kept it. I actually paid in won and got two dollars in change). Overall, it was a fantastic day and perhaps I'll be able to get back to the base at some point in the near future. Spenser got some pictures so I'll try to get them up soon. Also, I should have my own camera here in the future.

Upcoming - new teacher arrives, Erik, Jen goes on vacation so I have to cover for her, Benjamin from the middle school goes on vacation so I have to cover for him, the semester ends December 10th so I have to wrap one up and prepare to start another one. Spenser's birthday is today so I am guessing tonight will get a bit wild, perhaps tomorrow as well. Either way, I am sure you will find out.

1 comment:

>96 said...

Hey JC, I was only there for a few short weeks this summer and could totally identify with taking things for granted AND eating whatever comes out. I remember craving a good cup of coffee (even Starbucks in Seoul catered to their Korean Mkt). I am so glad you got your eggs over easy and pop-tarts. You know people in the States can send things (flat rate international shipping is cheap- if it fits in the box...just saying)