1.25.2013

Juneau, Alaska - Part 1 (Dan Moller Cabin)

After my travels through SE Asia, I went to Alaska for a few weeks to spend some time with Katrina and her family.  It was a beautiful part of the Earth, although a bit too cold and not enough sunlight for me.  I really enjoyed the attitude and atmosphere of Juneau and wish I would have spent some more time exploring the rest of the state.  The first week there I went on a hike with Katrina and her father to Dan Moller Cabin.  It was about a 3 hour hike up to the cabin, but it was a pretty easy hike up.  Finally, for those of you who do not know, Katrina broke up with me the day before Thanksgiving.  So, these memories are a little bittersweet and I will leave it at that...


(First adventure, Dan Moller Cabin)


(Our journey up the mountain begins)


(A view of Mt. Juneau, I believe)


 (There are boards set up to help when things get a bit swampy)


(More steps and more of the hike)


(Myself with a nice view in the background - it was beautiful)


 (A lot more hiking to go...)


(The vastness and wilderness can not be described.  It was a bit overwhelming and peaceful at the same time.)


 (I believe that was an avalanche warning sign)


(A little creek on the way up)


(Break time by the big tree)


(This is a special effect known as 'Alpine Glow.'  Sadly, I did not get to see the Northern Lights and that remains on my bucket list.)


 (First view of Dan Moller Cabin.  I think it was around 30 or 40 bucks a night which rented out the cabin in the evening and paid for the propane that we used to stay warm.)


 (Picture time for everyone once we got to the Cabin)


(Outhouse to the left)


(Bean and cheese burritos for dinner)


(There was no fire or lights so we had candles for lighting)


(A view from the balcony on the second floor)


(Time for some snow shoeing, first time for this guy and I loved it)


(Katrina's dad, Jay, leading the way.  He's a great guy.)


(Katrina and her father hanging out, taking in the scenery)


 (That's part of Juneau down below nestled between the mountains)


(We were on the island of Douglas so there was water on both sides)


 (Off on an adventure... actually, we just took this photo and then turned around...)


(I honestly thought a National Geographic Team should have been with us filming, but this is everyday life in Alaska...)


 (Katrina making her way back down to the cabin)


(We put on our special snow slippers for the walk down)


 (Another shot of downtown Juneau from Douglas)

No comments: