11.12.2011

Lantern Festival - 2nd Time Around

Katrina and I decided to go on a nice romantic date along the Cheonggye Cheon or the Gheoggye River. It's that time of the year for the lantern festival again. I went last year and had a blast. There were some great lanterns. It's honestly unlike any experience I've had in America and it was a great time. We went on a Saturday evening and had to wait about an hour in line but it went by pretty fast. With that being said, here are some photos from the Lantern Festival in Seoul.


(The entrance to the festival. I got scolded for stopping to take a picture.)


(1 of the 12 Earthly Guardians)


(Seoul's mascot)


(A traditional Korean band)


(Korean dancers in what looked like a parade)


(The guys that wear the spinny head thing)


(I believe this was somehow related to a traditional story about the sun and moon)


(One of Seoul's main gates made into a lantern)


(The blue fire breathing peacock)


(The orange yellow fire breathing peacock)


(Everybody knows who this is...)


(Some lovely swans in the water)


(Had to get a picture with the Statue of Liberty)


(This was an interesting little section where they had smaller lanterns on some twisted trees)


(I liked the shape and design of these lanterns the most)


(These would be nice to have on a patio or hanging from a tree in my backyard)


(I liked the floral design on this lantern)


(Gold fish, a whole school of them)


(If I remember correctly, this was a Japanese warrior, which also appeared in last year's lantern festival)


(This was some kind of god)


(This guy tricked the goblin into doing something or giving him something)


(Supposedly, this is a game. I didn't quite gather what the purpose of the game was, but it's a game nonetheless.)


(My favorite lantern of the evening - the tiger and old lady)


(This is going to be a dragon. People pay a dollar then write a little message on a sticky note. The note then goes on the metal frame. Not sure what the proceeds were going for, though.)

No comments: