1.10.2008

Shakespeare and Life

The following is one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare although the character ruins it in the end as he makes the argument in support of his vengenace on a Christian character. However, I believe it says a lot about people of different religions, backgrounds, and ethnicities.

In The Merchant of Venice Shylock elegantly states, "I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?"

Well said Shylock, well said. We are all people regardless of the beliefs we have. I am not condoning violence or those people with violent beliefs; nevertheless, humanity needs to develop its sense of empathy. Too often we don't care about other people, especially those we can not see or those with different beliefs. In the end though, we are all 99.5% the same. It is time to care for other people and think about those who are less fortunate then yourself. I have so much to say on this topic but I will just leave it at that for now.

Another one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare is in regards to mercy. Portia is attempting to convince Shylock not to take the default on his bond, which is a pound of flesh from the chest. She makes the following speech:

"The quality of mercy is not strained. It droppeth as gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath. It is twice blest. It blesseth him that gives and him that takes. 'Tis the mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes the throned monarch better than his crown. His scepter shows the force of temporal power, the attribute to awe and majesty wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings; but mercy is above this sceptered sway. It is enthroned in the hearts of kingds; it is an attribute to God Himself; and earthly power doth then show likest God's when mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew, though justice by thy plea, consider this: that in the course of justice none of us should see salvation. We do pray for mercy, and that same prayer doth teach us all to render the deeds of mercy."

Just some food for thought. On a side note, at the current moment, I cannot seem to find my bank book or passport, two very vital items. Today, after my interview and lesson, I am going to tear the apartment apart to see if I can find it. If not, I guess it means a trip down to the embassy to see what my options are. So, keep your fingers crossed, first for the interview and also that I can find my passport. Hope everyone is doing great. Take care. Love you all.

No comments: