2.13.2013

Hockey Hall of Fame, St. Lawrence Market, Distillery District, and a little Korean Food

My first full day of adventure found me headed downtown to the Hockey Hall of Fame.  While I'm boycotting the NHL for the next two years, I still support the sport.  Let me tell you, there is a lot of memorabilia in the Hall.  It took me a few hours to make my way around and I could have spent a few days inside.  Next, I walked down to St. Lawrence Market, a nifty market place with all sorts of shops.  It kind of reminded me of the Reading Terminal Market in Philly.  After that, I headed farther to the east and after stopping for directions, found myself in the Distillery District, an old distillery which has now been turned in to a variety of shops.  I finished the day in Korea Town with some kimchi jiggae while Hiroko had some gamja tang or pork spine soup.  It was great, but not nearly as tasty as the food in Korea...


 (The Hockey Hall of Fame)


(A little different angle.  It is actually found inside an old bank.)


 (Getting ready to hop the boards)


 (Canada even minted a coin, but I can't remember if it was simply for hockey or the Hall)


 (The logo)


 (As you make your way inside and down the escalator to the Hall)


(Hockey - enough said)


 (A variety of pucks)


(I only managed to snipe 2 out of 5 on the electronic tender.  Although I think it was rigged.  I had at least 4 from what I saw...)


 (A shot inside the Hall)


 (A few of the old rings)


(Dome inside the trophy room)


 (There's me and Lord Stanley's Cup, one of two)


(It was originally called the Challenge Cup and was paid for by Lord Stanley, awarded to the best team in Canada.  From my understanding, he believed a Cup would normalize rules throughout the land.)


(A few of the other trophies)


(A final look inside the trophy room from the vault)


(The old bank vault where they keep the old rings of the Cup)


(International section of the Hall)


(Outside view of St. Lawrence Market)


(Just an idea of what the inside looks like)


 (This begins the Distillery District.  I have a feeling this would have been a lot better area to visit in the summer.  However, it was still worth seeing.)


 (This stone was actually brought over from England)


(An old truck)


(An old clock)


(These were used to make sure the pressure didn't get too high in the distillery)


 (A few barrels on a wagon - don't mind if I do)


(I guess this is modern art...)


(A picture of a picture of some of the old workers from the distillery)


(Inside one of the buildings)


(Hiroko at work)


(I was a little bit excited for Korean food, even though my hair was a hot mess and Hiroko never told me)


(There's a little pork spine soup, which was actually really tasty and the meat was oh so tender)


 (Kimchi Jiggae or Kimchi Soup, one of my favorites, of all foods)


(Hiroko getting ready to devour her soup)


(Well, at least one of us finished all of our food...)


(Tiger, Korean Style, for good luck)

No comments: