2.13.2013

The Queen's People at a Brewery and an Izakaya with Old Friends and New

Started the day off with one of the few 'Canadian' things I could think of - a stop at Tim Hortons.  It wasn't bad, but then again, I'm not a big coffee guy.  I also tried ketchup chips which tasted like vinegar and on a recommendation from a friend, Coffee Crisp, which were terrible, at least in my opinion.  Also, I had some poutine but there will be a whole post devoted to that.  Anyway, after that I ended up heading downtown to the Steam Whistle Brewery.  If you're in Toronto and have time, go.  I had a fantastic time and met a few of the Queen's people.  Stuart from Australia  Sam from Canada, and Becky from England.  After a few hours of indulging, I met Hiroko and we went to a Japanese Izakaya for Nobuko's birthday!  It was a fantastic day and I made some great memories.  In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I love my life.  


(Tim Horton's)


(Me and my cup of Chai Tea Latte since I'm not a fan of coffee.  However, it was bagged...)



(Steam Whistle Brewing Company.  This is the outside of the building, at night.  It was easy to find and I believe the tours run every half an hour.)


(There motto is to make one thing and do it right so they only make a Pilsner.  I was planning on bringing some home to share but I left mine in Hiroko's fridge.)


(Not sure what it is with these old carts and distilleries...)


 (There are a few options for the tour.  I think you can pay $10 and get a bottle opener, $15 and get a six pack, and then there's one more option.  You get a few free drinks on the tour and can buy a beer afterwards for $5.)


(I believe this is the old turnabout, where the company started)


(Boxing machine)


 (Stuart and I went on the tour together and ended up chatting afterwards.  He was taking a 5 week vacation from his studies and here he is blowing the steam whistle.  The name implies the end of the day, time to relax and wind down with an ice cold beverage.)


(As the name implies, the case maker)


(This machine is used to detect the impurities in the bottles.  They actually use a very specific bottle which can be re-used an average of 35 times I believe.  It's washed and put back into circulation.  They are a 'green' company.)


 (Filling machine)


(The Queen's people - Stuart, Becky, and Sam.  We met the ladies after they finished their tour.)


(Not quite sure what happened with Stuart here...)


 (Becky was a bit of a firecracker)


(We were planning on taking photos in the booth, but it wouldn't accept our money)


(Not sure what Sam was doing here with the American money)


 (This guy was great.  He said, eat, drink lots, be merry, and make the women happy, or something along those lines.  So, I had to get a picture with him.)


 (If you look closely, you can see the train on the turnabout.  It was the only place, besides at the end of the lines, where you could actually turn the trains around and it has now become an historic area.)


(CN tower at night.  The brewery is literally right behind it or in front of it, depending on which direction you are coming from.  I guess it could also be beside it.)


(The city as the sun is going down)


(Another evening shot)



(Not sure why, but I really liked this one)



 (Time for some food, but no drinks for me)


(Hiroko and Eri)


 (So I took a photo of Hiroko eating a chicken wing...)


 (And she had to do the same)


 (The birthday girl, Nobuko, and myself)


(Three beautiful women)


 (Nobuko is holding up some sake for this shot)


 (Having a bite to eat)


(I can't quite remember what was so funny here)


 (Hiroko loved this picture so I figured I better put it on the blog)


(Sashimi, oh yeah!)


 (The birthday girl with her ice cream/cake and a big smile)


(Opening her gift and I think she's excited)


(Yep, she likes it)

No comments: