2.16.2013

Poutine - Canada's Finest Cuisine...

I decided to do a little taste testing while in Canada and while I had Japanese, Korean, Indian, Polish, and Greek food, I went to Canada's national cuisine - poutine.  If you're short on time, I'd recommend a Queen Street poutine tour.  I'd go with a friend, because, surprisingly, french fries, gravy, and cheese curds can be quite filling...  go with a friend and taste a few more places.  I ended up taking the street car down to Poutini's, walked to Smoke's Poutinerie, and finished at BQM Diner.  BQM was my favorite and when I showed up Friday afternoon, it was half price.  Smoke's was the best value and a close second.  While the locals rave about Poutini's, it wasn't my favorite.  However, it wasn't that far behind the other 2.  I only got the classic, but if I go back again, I am going to mix it up and add some goodies.  I'm not going to lie, it took me 2 days...


(First stop was Poutini's - I got a few recommendations from locals for this place...)


(I did like the gravy flavor, but the rest of it was a little bland.  This is with the fork in...)


(Here it is again without the fork)


(The atmosphere was great, but then again so were the other places)


(Nice view as the snow began to fall)


(A little street art as I walked down to Smoke's)


(Smoke's from the outside.  There were quite a few newspaper articles on the wall and it's a huge chain.  I kind of wish I would have stopped at the falafel place next door.)


(A view of the inside of Smoke's)


(Here you can start to see all the different options)


(There are the hours and part of the website)


(A nice little chalkboard to write a comment)


(Smoke's was the same price as Poutini's but in case you can't tell, a little more bang for your buck)


(A little different angle, plus, this was also vegetarian, a big plus)


(My #1 place and like I said, while I was there, 1/2 off)


(Inside of BQM Diner)


(Loaded up on the gravy which was nice.  It's easy for the fries to make you a little parched, but the gravy helped.)


(I really started to get into the black and white the last part of my trip)


(Osgoode Station - Queen Street - my favorite place to get off in Toronto)


(The Ontario Legislature - stopped here on a whim after I got out of Queen's Park Station.  Saw it and decided it would be a sweet building to go inside.  Walked in and a lady asked if I was there for the tour.  I said, sure, why not.)


(A photo showing the Queen's legislature)


(Hallway)


(First woman in the Ontario Legislature and she later went on to be the first to serve in the Canadian Legislature)


(In front of the building)


(I thought the colors on this tree would pop a little more, but they didn't)


(King Henry the VII or VIII, I can't remember)


(A different statue in Queen's Park)


(A different view of the Legislative building)


(Hiroko's first bite ever of an ice cream sandwich)


(Another one of Hiroko's favorite photos of me on the trip, practicing the guitar.  I still have a long ways to go...)

No comments: