2.17.2013

ROM, Ramen, and a Rink at Old City Hall

I spent about 5 hours walking through the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and probably could have spent another 5 hours easily.  There were a lot of unique and interesting pieces which is right up my ally.  I learned a little bit and saw some great pieces.  Even after being there, I'd go back again.  After the ROM, I finished my poutine tasting on Queen Street and then met Hiroko, Nobuko, and Joe for ramen.  It was amazing!  Of course, having a Japanese friend usually helps when finding good ramen.  After that, we went to City Hall to do some ice skating downtown.  Unfortunately, it was closed due to the snow.  Then we ended up at a crepe place on Queen Street.  It was a great time and another fantastic day in Toronto!


(Outside the Royal Ontario Museum - ROM)


 (This was as soon as I got out of the subway station - as you can tell, the snow started to come down)


 (A church caddie corner to the ROM)


 (A little different view of the front - again, notice the snow)


 (A few wardrobes as soon as you enter)


 (Bugs - the whole wall was filled with them)


(This was actually fabric)


(I can't quite remember what this was other than a sweet head piece)


(This was a piece made to change over time that is hanging on a wall - it was rather big.  What do you think it's made of?)


(Bottle caps, I believe from South Africa)


(A few busts from the Roman section of the museum)


 (Cupid)


(Hercules on a vase)


 (I can't quite remember what this was from but I liked it)


(This was in the Jewish section and made me think of my friend Tiff.  If a husband died, the widow was supposed to marry his brother.  However, this boot could get the brother out of the wedding.  I forget what it was called...)


(An old tree, probably 8 or 9 feet high)


(A sweet animal)


(I took the museum's Highlight Tour and this was our first stop, an ancient Chinese Buddha, a few thousand years old, with a new head)


(Next was an ancient Roman Gladiator's helmet)


(The oldest piece in the musuem I believe, or maybe the oldest person - she is over 6,000 years old) 


(The only dinosaur with a female name because she was found with her babies.  Why the man couldn't have taken care of the babies is beyond me - a little sexism perhaps?)


(The gem/geology/crystal/rock section)


(These were more rocks)


(Another interesting crystal formation)


(This was back in the Chinese section)


(Here were a few more statues and paintings)


 (Sitting Bull's supposed headdress, which I thought was pretty sweet)


 (As well as a few other articles of clothing)


(Back out into the snow - this woman was a trooper trying to get a good photo)


 (I believe this was part of a college)


 (Down to the subway)


(Another building in the snow)


(I ended up back on Queen Street to finish my poutine tasting)


(A little different black and white view)


(Hug Me Tree in the snow)


(This is how they do it in Toronto when it snows)


 (Don't think anybody's going to be taking this bike out anytime soon)


 (Time for some ramen...)


(Hiroko and Nobuko, hiding behind the menu)


 (I think Hiroko was having a good time)


 (Great shot by Nobuko)


(Here it get- a little better feasting on some ramen)


(Joe and Hiroko)


 (The owner of the ramen shop)


 (Back out into the snow)


(This man is a staple of the community according to Joe and here he was playing the drums)


 (The old City Hall at night)


(We came to the rink to skate downtown and it would have been awesome except it was closed)


(So, I had to at least stand on the rink)


 (Joe, myself and Hiroko)


(Hiroko having a good time again)


 (Hiroko making a snow angel)


(Here you get a little different view)


(Yep, definitely closed) 


 (I blew on the lens to clean off the snow and forgot and tried to take this photo...)


(Here it is in color)


(The Opera House)


(Back down to Queen Street and another view of the CN Tower)


 (We hung out at a crepe place afterwards, for dessert)


(Hiroko stuffing her face and Joe in the background)


(Another shot of the CN Tower)


 (Have a seat)


 (I got some ketchup chips which tasted more like vinegar than ketchup)


 (Hiroko showing off her ear - you had to be there...)


(A little nap time on the train)

No comments: