2.04.2013

Seattle with the Friedrick Clan

As I am sure many of you know, Katrina and I broke up the day before Thanksgiving.  It was a bit of bad timing to say the least and while I had plans to go see my buddy Joel in Seattle, it wasn't for a week later.  However, I gave him a call up, and like a champ, he told me to fly in to Portland and enjoy Thanksgiving with the Friedricks, who are like a second family.  I had a blast seeing everyone and saw some great things in Seattle.  Plus, it was fantastic to see Mama Friedrick and Momo!  So, here are a few of the photos from my trip to Seattle.  


 (Joel focused during a ping pong match.  Every time I've been there, they tend to get a bit intense.)


(Cooking time with Martha Stewart, also known as Mama Friedrick.  She makes some amazing food!)


(Trip into the city - Space Needle)


(One of the highlights of the trip was the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit.  This man can do some amazing things with glass.)


(A few bowls he made)


(Bamboo made out of glass, which is an oxymoron of sorts)


(Imagine having this as your ceiling - each of those is different colored pieces set atop clear glass)


(Here's a little different angle)


(And here is a shot of just a few of the glass pieces) 


 (The art inspector himself, a critic to the end)


(I guess the best way to describe this would be an indoor glass garden with a twist)


(Joel got a little shaky with the camera and the shutter stayed open a bit and this is what came out, but I still liked it)


(A lot of shapes on a boat)


(Some balls on a boat)


 (The two together.  It was hard to comprehend, but I really did find this amazing.  However, I am curious if he blows the pieces and puts them in or designs the pieces and then hand crafts each one?)


(One of the many chandeliers throughout the exhibit, each unique.  Each one of those is its own blown glass, which is astounding, at least in my opinion.)


(This piece was huge, absolutely huge.  This room was probably two to three stories high.)


(Once again, the art critic had a special eye and got this shot)


(A little crazy hair - there was also an exhibit outside which was interesting)


(If you want, you can buy a vase, for a few thousand dollars.  I think I need to look into blowing glass for a living.)


(Momo with the Cascade.  I hope she's not upset I put this on here.)


(Joel and Momo making dinner)


 (My buddy Buddy)


 (Here they are, the happily married couple in their semi-new kitchen, in the sense that it's new since I've seen them last, along with the whole house)


(Light show with over a million LED lights)


(A dragon...)  


(This reminded me of Lite-Brite from back in the day)


(The lighting worked out perfect for this one)


(Had to get this one with the Osaka sign in there)


(If you don't like gum, turn away.  Because that is a gum wall and right now, there's gum in my mouth.)


 (Now it's between my fingers)


(And I'm adding it to the wall)


 (Close up shot)


(Unfortunately, the first piece fell off so I had to do it again.  Good thing we had a few packs of gum.  We even gave a piece to an older lady so she could put some on.)


 (Next jump shot)


(My buddy and me)


 (Momo hanging out on the opposite side.  For some reason, I really like this photo of her.)


(Walking along the street) 


(For those of you that enjoy Starbucks, here's a picture of the first one)


 (I guess that is new to the area, the ferris wheel, but it is in such a terrible spot and I can't imagine the view is any good.)


 (Pike Place Market sign)


 (The golden pig)


 (Me and Sasquatch)


(We had to go to Momo's favorite candy store and this was there so she got a photo)


(We also got chocolate covered bacon.  You would think it would be amazing, but it wasn't.  I'm not sure if it was too smokey or too sweet and too salty, but it just didn't work.  But, I tried it.) 


 (Photos on the way out) 


(Jump shot for me, even though it took Joel about 10 times to get the photo right)

No comments: