12.03.2007

Nara pictures

Traditional House in Nara
(Inner Garden)


(Stove)

Monkeys (I do not know why but for some reasons, monkeys appeared to be a part of the culture as several homes had the same red monkeys hanging from their porch ceilings)

Why I Loved Nara



The Monks of Nara - there were quite a few throughout the day




This was the second time I had seen a monk who stands alongside the road. They don't beg for money, they just stand there. And when someone donates, they say a prayer. At least that was the impression I got.

More Temple photos

The "Tunnel of Happiness" as Mr. Aochi put it so elegantly in English. After squeezing my way through, which I only saw about 3 kids do before me (and two other gentlemen who tried but failed), Mrs. Aochi informed me that I would have a long life filled with happiness. If I get paid by this new company, that will provide me with enough happiness to last through next year.

(A Guardian of the giant Buddha)


Standing in front of the temple, perhaps with the tiny people in the background you can get a sense of how truly large the temple is...


Deer, deer everywhere...


Another protector of Buddha. I did not realize he was so endangered that he needed to have all of these protectorates. Going through the museum I learned that he had 10 total.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love looking at your pictures and reading about your life! It's a really good study break for me! Finals are over next Friday and then I'll be half way thru school!!