12.27.2007

My Christmas in Japan

There was nothing special about my Christmas in Japan except for the fact that it was December 25th. I awoke a bit later than usually and headed to my first lesson at 11 am. It lasted for an hour and a half and my student informed me of a historical shogun. After the lesson I rode my bike home and had an interesting chat with a close friend. After a few discussions with this individual around the holidays, I came to the realization that he did not enjoy these special days. Of course, I asked him why.

He surprised me with a rather interesting point of view. In his opinion, people are a$$holes 90% of the year and they think that being nice on the holidays makes up for their rude behavior. Also, according to him, holidays have lost their meaning and instead, we should call them what they really are - "Let's Spend More Money Days!" Christmas is no longer about Jesus or Saint Nicholas but about buying gifts. It has no longer become the "season to give" but the "season to give to one's own." I thought that my friend had hit on a very special point and I felt obliged to include it in this blog.

I went to my next lesson at six and enjoyed a nice conversation with my student. At the moment, her English is not that of a native but that is why I am giving her lessons. Anyway, after the lesson, she asked me in broken English if I had placed my stocking by the fire. I informed her that I had not so she asked if Santa had come to visit. Once again, I replied in the negative. Next and in broken English, she told me that Santa had stopped at her house and left a gift for me. I must say, this simple act made my Christmas. She is such a kind and caring person; furthermore, she gave such thought to her presentation that it brought me such joy. Additionally, a lot of my other students have given me gifts as well: home made cookies, chocolate, a good luck charm, a coffee mug, home made jam, as well as several other goodies. So, as much as it was different, it was still a little bit of the same.

Finally, the evening ended when Joel and I made a nice Mexican dinner for Hiroko. We had chips and guacomole, tacos, beans, and Spanish rice. I must say, it was rather delicious. However, I never would have thought I would be in Japan eating Mexican food on Christmas. Everyday things are a little crazier.


Finally, work will not being on January 10th for me as scheduled. Due to the low number of students which have returned to Nova thus far, there is not a demand for all of the teachers to return. G-Education has given us two options. They will either help us look for a job or provide a plane ticket free of charge to our home country. I must say, this is a rather tempting offer but I am fully committed to staying in Japan, at least for a year. On the other hand, I am not so sure what option Joel is going to take. Therefore, things may be come even more difficult if Joel decides to go home. But, I will just have to cross that bridge when I get there. Hope everyone is doing well and has had a very Merry Christmas. Speaking of which, I will be going to Hiroshima tomorrow so this will be the last update for perhaps a week or so. So, Happy New Years, I will write again next year. Take care and enjoy the holidays, especially the time with family (which the poll concluded overwhelmingly was your favorite part of the holidays).
By the way, the beard is still growing and it is as disgusting as ever. Only a week to go!!

No comments: